Thread: LLC - LAST-LAST-CHANCE modification on Prism/BASE rig

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

LLC - LAST-LAST-CHANCE modification on Prism/BASE rig

Hi there.
    It was long time that we were thinking about this mod, how to do it, how to "push" it and then, finally, after having long discussed (again) with my friend #1044 and with #1050 (#1050 is a superb ability rigger, in our group we call him "The Artist" because of his skills), taking the excuse to give to #1050 my Prism in order to get the dynamic corners modification, agreed with him, I gave #1050 the duty to implement the LLC- mod - LAST-LAST-CHANCE modification.
    We started thinking about the LLC mod after all these accidents arising from a wide usage of wingsuit in the BASE environment, expecially those accidents coming from "nothing out", which means, basically, either a no pull (not found the handle?) or entanglement of bridle/PC / PC caught in the burble of wingsuit pilot.
    Thinking about the above, we started thinking about <SOMETHING> that could cause the container to be opened, regardless of wether or not you threw the PC or did not find the handle or any whichever reason the container is not open and you are approaching the earth at terminal.
    The LLC mod is NOT intend to substutite practice for reaching handle and PC throw, nor practice for launching the PC off the burble or whatever else.
    The (possible) use of of LLC is the following:
    I did all I had to do, go for the handle at the right time with the right movement, launch the PC far away off the burble, collapsing the wings, eventually moving left and right, and yet is coming out: at this stage, I am about to bounce: why not to get the container open?
    I did all I had to do and I am about to bounce, if I had the chance of getting the container open (rerdless if I got the PC in the air or not), I would have a slight chance that the burble would pull the cloth of canopy out of the contrainer and finally get the complete canopy out above my had.
    The possibility of getting the canopy deployed "simply" having the container open (without any PC in the air) is non-zero firstly because we have the information that #416 got (something like 10 years ago...) while flying his wingsuit using a BASE rig not yet at the "state-of-the-art", he found all of of sudden the open canopy above his head while still flyiong his wingsuit and WITHOUT having put hand to the handle.
    A BASE canopy, free packed in the BASE rig, that starts deploying, is capable of getting rid of any horse shoe coming from the
    PC still in the pouch.
    Furthemore, from tales from #1050, who started skydiving in the 70's, #1050 skydived (for a short period) with a military container adapted to be jumped in the civilian environment (which container had (on left and right flap) heavy metallic stiffeners in the up-down direction) that was operated WITHOUT PC, it was operated ONLY releasing the rip cord which OLY caused the 4 flaps to be open: then the burble behind the skydiver's body caused the free-packed canopy to be extracted and get deployed.
    So, after having long thought about LLC mod, and abover all, after having realized it, we see no danger in the mod, we see only a positive outcome in case the shit hits the fan in a very unlucky jump.
    Say, it is like the AAD in the skydiving environment, you have it, you turn it on and then you forget about it: you do all you have to do, in case you get very unlucky after ahving done all the right things/manouvers/techniques, still yopu are appproaching earth at terminal, the ypour Cypres/Vigil activates your reserve.
    LLC mod is thopught to have its helping feature in the same way: in my BASE wingsuit jump I do all I had to do, still if with nothing out I am approaching earth at terminal, there is no danger on pulling the release handle of LLC mod: if LLC does not work, still I will bounce as with a regular BASE rig, if LLC gets the canopy deployed, I am alive.
    This is a LLC mod done on my single pin Prism rig: easily the LLC can be implemented on any other dual-pin BASE rig.
    LLC mod SIMPLY works in the way that pulling the handle, the pin closing loop is released and so the 4 flaps are open.
    Questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stay Safe Out There
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689

Re: LLC - LAST-LAST-CHANCE modification on Prism/BASE rig

Some more pictures
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

Few more pictures
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

Kinda like a double release for tandem drouge systems. While you're at it, get rid of that curved single pin in place of a coated cable ala Strong tandem for terminal and zingzuit jumps.
    Dr. Nick

Nitro Rigging

the new base two pin container with plastic stiffener insert should not have problem with wingsuite pull. that look like good Ideal though.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing it.
    I am curious, why you guys are using
    what appears to be thin nylon braided
    rope as a bridle instead of the usual
    flat, thin, black webbing? I am sure
    it works the same just curious, also
    do you do this on all of your rigs or
    only this particular Prism? Thanks.
    ~Tom BASE1366
    www.Sky-Frogs.com
    BLiNC Team Member

> I am curious, why you guys are using what appears to be thin nylon braided rope as a bridle instead of the usual flat, thin, black webbing?
    Well, I use a regular 9'-2.71m flat thin green webbing bridle in all my slider up jumps and in all my slider off free-fall jumps.
    What you saw in those picture is my <special bridle> (5.5mm dyneema rope - break load about 2 t) I use only for SL jumps: my idea is that if I used my standard bridle for SL jumps, I would put all the stichings in my standard bridle under unnecessary stress: when it get to break cord breakage, there is a violent and immediate stress on stichings.
    That's the reason I use in my SL jumps that <special bridle>.
    Indeed, I am about to convert to use a standard bridle (but I will use a dedicated-for-only-SL-jumps-only standard bridle) because, in the very unlucky chance that in a SL jump the upper part of the bridle gets caught by the "structure", my dyneema special bridle WILL NOT break and would let me hanging from exit point, a standard bridle will finally break (hopefully after container opening and line stretch) and will let me to fly free.
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

if you incorporate with a spring loaded PC, can be us by disable base jumper may be.