Jimmy Tyler
Date: August 4, 1982 Nationality: American
Object Type: Earth
COD: Strike (canopy)
Clothes / Suit: Normal Clothes

Description:

This is the first Yosemite BASE fatality and the second death of a BASE number holder. The jump is a short delay in gusty mid-day conditions and an off heading opening put Jimmy into the wall.

He is an Internal Revenue Service Agent, He is the first person to BASE jump from a moving vehicle when he launched from a pick-up truck crossing the Pine Valley Bridge using a round parachute (Piglet) in San Diego, California. This jump can be seen in some of Carl Boenish's early films.

Comments from Jimmy's Daughter:
Here are some photos of my dad, I will let you choose which one you would like to use.
Photo 1 and 4 are on top of El Captain in Yosemite, He does have an El Cap number but I don't have that info
photo 2 is at The Royal Gorge Bridge, 1,000 feet bridge in Colorado
photo 3 is the Vincent Thomas bridge in San Pedro, Ca.

He accomplished 2 chute less and many other amazing jumps before his untimely death.

He was featured on an NBC special called "Daredevils". Which aired Nov 21, 1980
The Vincent Thomas Bridge jump, this bridge is about 185 feet of clearance to the water below. This jump was
His first chute less jump were he and Bill Parson jumped 1500 feet apart and meet up in mid air, my dad then linked himself with risers (straps) on his arms and used snapped rings to attach to Bill's legs, once linked Bill dropped an extension lowering my dad 20 feet to make a safe landing.
In Oct 1980 he jumped out of a plane and got back into the same plane without using his chute. After he exited the plane, it descended nose first at 125 mph with a chute slowing it down, my dad then maneuvered himself to the plane, climbed back in and he and the pilot landed safely.

He was also featured on "That's Incredible" twice
First, he jumped off a ramp being towed at 75 mph across The Pine Valley Creek Bridge near San Diego, Ca the bridge is 450 feet to the valley below
Second, was his 2nd chute less jump where he jump from a plane and a bakery bucket was dropped out of a second plane, he then meet up with the bucket in mid air and linked himself with risers, he released the chute from the bucket and deployed it, landing safely.

He was also on the game show To Tell The truth as the featured contestant. This aired Nov 20, 1980

Sorry it took so long to get this to you, I was having computer problems
Thank you so much for all you have done,
Rachel Tyler Duke
Name:  mom's photos 287.jpg
Views: 6433
Size:  518.4 KBName:  mom's photos 291.jpg
Views: 6388
Size:  289.9 KBName:  Floy Tyler Family Photos 259.jpg
Views: 6379
Size:  715.4 KBName:  mom's photos 211.jpg
Views: 6416
Size:  406.7 KB