Sean Bullington

Sean Bullington
    Date: October 6, 2012 Nationality: American
    Object Type: Earth
    COD: Strike (Canopy)
    Clothes / Suit: WingSuit

Description:

"This is information that I received from jumpers on the scene:"

Sean's was the first of a two way and had an effective launch. The first half of his flight appeared normal with adequate forward speed. During the last half of his flight he appeared to lose speed and seemed to be sinking out. He changed his flight path slightly in an attempt to maintain altitude above a gully and kept flying towards the main landing area. After deploying his pilot chute the canopy inflated with a left off heading of about 140+ degrees and after a few seconds he disappeared from sight into the gully and behind a cliff band.
    By the time Sean was located by other members of the group he had already passed.

Sean had recently changed wingsuits and within the weeks prior to his accident fellow jumpers had noticed he was not maximizing the new suit's performance. Sean was known as a safe and conservative jumper and his passing was a shock to many who knew him.

In this day and age of rapidly evolving wingsuit technology and the boundaries of free flight constantly expanding, pilots need to be aware of their personal capabilities. Wingsuit base jumpers should not venture away from forgiving objects before they have a substantial history of stable, precise and fast flights appropriate to the performance of their chosen suit. Stalling, short or inconsistent flights should be understood as indicators of more training on forgiving objects or better yet from airplanes.

Be aware of your capabilities

bfl-footer
    footer
    BFL

Name:  sean11.jpg
Views: 16234
Size:  285.1 KBName:  sean 1.jpg
Views: 16259
Size:  249.7 KB

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

Re: Sean Bullington

Sean was my son and a truly gifted man. There is no glory in his death, only tragedy that he died long before his time. If his death prevents one person from participating in this extreme sport perhaps he will not have died for nothing. He left behind a young wife, his parents, a sister, 2 nieces, a nephew and a multitude of friends and co-workers. We miss him beyond measure and will grieve for him the rest of our lives.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Base1268's Avatar

We fully understand your grief MomB...

I met Sean in 2010 in Italy..... with love in his heart and a true adventurers spirit

We, as a community of pioneering adventurers, who choose not to 'tip-toe' thru life just to arrive safely at death, embrace the philosophy that quality of life far outweighs quantity.
    If you can accept that Sean truly lived his dream and died doing what he enjoyed then your heart will smile again...... if and when you can accept that, you'll find peace and also the pride that comes with knowing that your son had a pioneering spirit that only touches a few lucky humans in this life we lead.

Peace n love

Nick xox ....
    Argue for your limitations... and sure enough... they're yours

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

Quote Originally Posted by Base1268 View Post
    We fully understand your grief MomB...

I met Sean in 2010 in Italy..... with love in his heart and a true adventurers spirit

We, as a community of pioneering adventurers, who choose not to 'tip-toe' thru life just to arrive safely at death, embrace the philosophy that quality of life far outweighs quantity.
    If you can accept that Sean truly lived his dream and died doing what he enjoyed then your heart will smile again...... if and when you can accept that, you'll find peace and also the pride that comes with knowing that your son had a pioneering spirit that only touches a few lucky humans in this life we lead.

Peace n love

Nick xox ....
    Well, Nick, I don't think you understand the pain and grief Sean's death has left us with. I think if he could do it all again knowing the outcome he would not have BASE jumped. His pioneering spirit would have led him to other, just as gratifying, pursuits. No one thinks they are going to die. Sean had many important things to accomplish in his life that are left undone. I know you all think there is glory in living on the edge and dying young but there is not. To have his body crushed on impact, every bone broken and shattered was not a glorious way to die. To have his incredible mind and brain silenced by being slammed against unforgivable granite is not glorious. There is no more glory in dying this way than there is in driving fast and crashing into a bridge abutment. The outcome is the same. I am, and always have been, incredibly proud of my son and all he accomplished in his life. But my heart will never smile again because he is dead and I will never see him, hug him, laugh with him, or hear his voice ever again. That is the reality we are left with. Think about that the next time you are poised on the edge of a cliff, ready to jump off thinking you can fly and beat the odds one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by MomB View Post
    Well, Nick, I don't think you understand the pain and grief Sean's death has left us with. I think if he could do it all again knowing the outcome he would not have BASE jumped. His pioneering spirit would have led him to other, just as gratifying, pursuits. No one thinks they are going to die. Sean had many important things to accomplish in his life that are left undone. I know you all think there is glory in living on the edge and dying young but there is not. To have his body crushed on impact, every bone broken and shattered was not a glorious way to die. To have his incredible mind and brain silenced by being slammed against unforgivable granite is not glorious. There is no more glory in dying this way than there is in driving fast and crashing into a bridge abutment. The outcome is the same. I am, and always have been, incredibly proud of my son and all he accomplished in his life. But my heart will never smile again because he is dead and I will never see him, hug him, laugh with him, or hear his voice ever again. That is the reality we are left with. Think about that the next time you are poised on the edge of a cliff, ready to jump off thinking you can fly and beat the odds one more time.
    I do understand your pain and grief... but I have a different perspective on life and I accept death of all people very easily without any grief whatsoever because I only ever see the beauty in life. I choose never to dwell on what might have been... for it achieves nothing but grief.... I simply accept.

I'm not in any way being rude by saying this Mom... but those things you say were important for Sean to accomplish that are left undone are things YOU wanted him to do. That is a common trait of many parents... they want their children to live the lives that they would like them to live instead of simply allowing them to follow their dream... utterly regardless of what that is.

Sean would want you to be proud of his achievements... whatever they were.... and simply reflect on the time you did have together in this life rather than be angry that he's gone physically. Don't forget he can always live in your memory if you choose to allow that to happen.

Therein lies peace for you.... and I hope you find it as soon as you can with every sincere molecule within me.

Within every state of sadness also lies a key to find the happy and harmonious state of mind we treasure.... look in the right place and you will find the key.

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

Nick, having met Sean once, I daresay that you did not know him as well as you profess. Having known him for over 35 years, I think I knew him a bit better than you did. His goals were not mine, they were his. I doubt if you knew of the work he did for our country, work that was very important to him and that he was proud of. I doubt if you knew of his personal goals that were very important to him. I doubt that you knew of his joy for life. I doubt that you knew of his love for his family. I mourn the loss of my son, but the world mourns the loss of this amazing man.

You appear to know nothing of grief or loss and for that you should be grateful. I hope you never will.

I will leave you to your illusions that dying is more glorious than living. Sean is number 195. When I read that you are a number I will grieve for you and for your mother. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by MomB View Post
    Nick, having met Sean once, I daresay that you did not know him as well as you profess. Having known him for over 35 years, I think I knew him a bit better than you did. His goals were not mine, they were his. I doubt if you knew of the work he did for our country, work that was very important to him and that he was proud of. I doubt if you knew of his personal goals that were very important to him. I doubt that you knew of his joy for life. I doubt that you knew of his love for his family. I mourn the loss of my son, but the world mourns the loss of this amazing man.

You appear to know nothing of grief or loss and for that you should be grateful. I hope you never will.

I will leave you to your illusions that dying is more glorious than living. Sean is number 195. When I read that you are a number I will grieve for you and for your mother. Be careful.
    I don't profess to have 'truly 'known' Sean.... surely we never truly know anyone... even ourselves....??

What was obviously important to Sean was doing what he chose to do... not forced to do it by anyone else.... his choice.... and he knew that choosing to enjoy the experience of wonderful freedom that comes with unpowered flight... as is the case with wingsuit BASE jumping... carries far greater risk of death and injury than some other experiences in life.

Surely we must always accept what other people choose to do.... for that is allowing them to truly be themselves.

Death is an integral part of life..... every single one of us is on a path toward it from the moment we are born... the amount of time we spend alive is irrelevant... what matters surely is that we get to experience pure joy in our lives and we each should pursue that in whatever way works for us individually.

I'm not in this world to live up to anyone's expectations but my own... because then I'm being as close to my true self as possible and I believe Sean embraced this philosophy aswell.... as do all adventurers.

I wish you didn't feel the pain you do and only offer my words to hopefully give you the perspective that will free you from that pain.... but like everyone we are all unique with different experiences that makes us individual and you will see things the way you choose to.

There are 7 billion worlds on this rock.... and counting

Embrace the pure joy that your son brought to your life and celebrate every smile he brought to your heart.

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

I originally posted on this forum so people reading about Sean would know that he was so much more than BASE jumping fatality number 195. I did not ask for, nor did I want, to read an arrogant half-assed philosophy on dying. I do not need to be told that I should rejoice that my son is dead because he died while having fun, so it's all good. I do not need to be lectured on letting him go nor do I need any opinions on how he was raised. It's all well and good to be a free thinker, but common sense is needed to go along with free thinking. Such insensitive and stupid remarks are neither cute nor clever.

Then this was the wrong place for you to post....... because everyone who comes here are BASE jumpers or those who are looking to begin their own journey and seek advise and learning.

The BASE fatality list is a tool to assist everyone else to make choices that incorporate the understanding and learning that comes from those who have died doing what we choose to do.

You have blindly twisted what I have said because it doesn't fit with your way of thinking when in fact it was said with genuine concern that your perspective is causing you pain... I think maybe you might be better off posting on a 'grief forum' instead of looking to blame the rest of us in the BASE community for your son's death by putting us down and suggesting that we will all die.

In an earlier post you suggested 'WHEN' you read that I'm a number instead of 'IF'... and that is presumption suggestive that ALL will die pursuing our BASE journey.... we'll forgive you that because grief tends to cause people to say things without proper consideration.

Time for you to leave our environment because you will only get the same glimpse from anyone else here into a world you don't wish to accept.

We acknowledge the pain of loss can often be severely felt and sincerely wish your pain subsides sooner rather than later.

BASE jumping is a totally selfish endeavour......... it can't be any other way.

Wow, way to be a complete fucking dick. How about "Sorry for your loss. Sean was a great guy!"? Do you honestly think Sean would want you giving his mother, or any of his family/friends shit on the internet? You are quite possibly the biggest dick on the internet.

Then this was the wrong place for you to post....... because everyone who comes here are BASE jumpers or those who are looking to begin their own journey and seek advise and learning.

The BASE fatality list is a tool to assist everyone else to make choices that incorporate the understanding and learning that comes from those who have died doing what we choose to do.

You have blindly twisted what I have said because it doesn't fit with your way of thinking when in fact it was said with genuine concern that your perspective is causing you pain... I think maybe you might be better off posting on a 'grief forum' instead of looking to blame the rest of us in the BASE community for your son's death by putting us down and suggesting that we will all die.

In an earlier post you suggested 'WHEN' you read that I'm a number instead of 'IF'... and that is presumption suggestive that ALL will die pursuing our BASE journey.... we'll forgive you that because grief tends to cause people to say things without proper consideration.

Time for you to leave our environment because you will only get the same glimpse from anyone else here into a world you don't wish to accept.

We acknowledge the pain of loss can often be severely felt and sincerely wish your pain subsides sooner rather than later.

BASE jumping is a totally selfish endeavour......... it can't be any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwill View Post
    Wow, way to be a complete fucking dick. How about "Sorry for your loss. Sean was a great guy!"? Do you honestly think Sean would want you giving his mother, or any of his family/friends shit on the internet? You are quite possibly the biggest dick on the internet.
    You obviously can't read

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

You obviously can't read
    1268, you're being an ass. Have some respect for a greiving mother. Don't tell her how to think.

I was good friends with Sean and travelled with him multiple times on base trips. I'm friends with his wife and I have also met his mom and she is an awesome lady. She has a right to how she's feeling. Sean is not the first friend I've had die and I'm sure he won't be the last. Every time, its the ones left behind that have to deal with all the shit. In my opinion, the jumper gets off easy. You should agree with that since you're getting so much "quality" living, right? If you go in, you'll never understand the pain you'll cause your family and close friends who love you. I'm not saying you shouldn't jump, thats your decision and not my business. Just be aware that you will truly break your family's heart(s).

While I appreciate your opinion, please don't say that it is every jumper's opinion or perspective or that it is time for her to leave. Not every new jumper with an interest in base comes here and starts their journey. Some read what is written and decide its not for them. Some make a few jumps and decide its not worth it. In that way, MomB is probably saving someone and their family from future pain. She has every right to her opinion, just as you have the right to your opinion. Every jumper must decide their own level of involvement with as much info as they can collect.

One of the reasons I've not jumped in over a year is not because I don't love jumping, I do. I think about it constantly and want to jump all the time. Its the majority of jumpers that turn me off and I have a hard time being around. In my experience, the vast majority of them are so one-dimensional. Like life begins and ends with base jumping and its all they can talk about. I guess some of that is immaturity as well and lots of jumpers are young. Probably the first thing they've ever felt confident about. Thats fine, its just incredibly BORING to be around! There's more to life than jumping. But I could just be getting OLD. Ha! Sean wasn't like that. He was more well-rounded and into much more. Family, work, other subjects, and other activities. He did a lot of good in the world and never said a word about it. He was generous and genuine. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe instead of telling her to change her perspective, try and empathize and realize that your way of thinking works for you, but maybe not everyone else. There's no need to force your way of thinking down others' throats. You're not a poor misunderstood jumper in this instance and your "enlightened" perspective comes off as arrogant. Sometimes, there's a time to say nothing.

Long flights and safe jumps.
    willz

Quote Originally Posted by willz View Post
    1268, you're being an ass. Have some respect for a greiving mother. Don't tell her how to think.

Long flights and safe jumps.
    willz
    No-one is TELLING anyone how to do anything... I merely suggest a way of drawing on the positive and to celebrate the great achievements of the amazing human life that Sean was living... no dis-respect to any family members whatsoever and if you CAREFULLY read what is written by me then you'll see that.

I have a very different view on life than the average person which allows me to be free from the negative side of emotional possessiveness and I chose in this instance to suggest a perspective that can free the pain of emotional loss.

Certainly tho my lesson from this written conversation is to say absolutely nothing whatsoever in future as it's obvious that people who pursue their dream without the blessings of family are always going to leave a mess behind if they succumb to the added risk that such extreme adventure poses... and people who can't accept loved ones making their own choices will always have a narrow view and as such be difficult to console... no matter how well intentioned those who try may be.

May you enjoy as many breath taking moments in as many different ways as possible... until your time runs out... as irrelevant as that amount of time truly is.

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

No-one is TELLING anyone how to do anything... I merely suggest a way of drawing on the positive and to celebrate the great achievements of the amazing human life that Sean was living... no dis-respect to any family members whatsoever and if you CAREFULLY read what is written by me then you'll see that.

I have a very different view on life than the average person which allows me to be free from the negative side of emotional possessiveness and I chose in this instance to suggest a perspective that can free the pain of emotional loss.

Certainly tho my lesson from this written conversation is to say absolutely nothing whatsoever in future as it's obvious that people who pursue their dream without the blessings of family are always going to leave a mess behind if they succumb to the added risk that such extreme adventure poses... and people who can't accept loved ones making their own choices will always have a narrow view and as such be difficult to console... no matter how well intentioned those who try may be.

May you enjoy as many breath taking moments in as many different ways as possible... until your time runs out... as irrelevant as that amount of time truly is.
    I just registered to tell you that you are one fucking moron.

This thread has been read by many friends of mine and friends of Sean. They all agree on one thing. That you are one major douche bag. To get on your stupid ass soap box and talk about your F 'pioneering' crap. What a load of shit.

Are you a parent? Have you ever lost a child? No? Then how can you F understand how she feels?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast