Thread: Moab company offers BASE jumping lessons just for women

1. Header
  2. Header-58

If this is your first visit, start by reading the following…

Moab company offers BASE jumping lessons just for women

Catherine Roy and Ari Villeneuve took the FJC (first base jump course) at the Perrine Bridge in Idaho, then they came to Moab for the extension which is the FCC (first cliff course). This is unique to Moab Base Adventures, the ability to take the FJC followed by moving on to the FCC.Courtesy Moab BASE Adventures

Moab company offers BASE jumping lessons just for women

A Moab company — B.A.S.E. Adventures — is offering women-only lessons.
    By Brennan Smith | The Salt Lake Tribune First Published Jan 06 2014 06:55 am

Steph Davis’ daily routine is rare, to say the least. Her office is the stunning desert of Moab, and she’s most likely to be found plummeting off a towering rock formation with only a parachute and her expertise standing between her and the ground. "Yeah, I mean, when you live in Moab, there’s cliffs all around us," Davis says matter-of-factly. "It’s pretty normal to do a jump every day or every other day at least."
    BASE jumping Participants leap from a fixed object, like buildings, bridges and cliffs, then enjoy the fall before deploying their parachute.
    Steph Davis said Moab’s B.A.S.E. Adventures requires 100 skydiving jumps but recommends 200 to 1,000 skydives before taking the intro to BASE jumping class. For information on Moab B.A.S.E. Adventures visit: Moab Base Adventures | Base Jumping and Rock Climbing in Moab, Utah
    Davis is a BASE jumping instructor and guide for Moab B.A.S.E. Adventures. The East Coast native first visited Moab on a trip from Colorado State University in 1994 and fell in love. She moved permanently to Utah in 1995. She estimates she jumps 300 times a year after she began BASE jumping seven years ago. "I like being up in high places, basically," she said. "Climbing does that and BASE jumping does that."Davis is also a pioneer of women’s BASE jumping, offering classes and training specific to female jumpers who often are brought into the BASE jumping world by male partners.
    "I just wanted to create an opportunity for women to take control of their own BASE career," Davis said. "To say, ‘I’m not dependent on this boyfriend or husband or whatever to be my teacher. I can go get my own skills and be an independent jumper.’"BASE jumping isn’t a one-size-fits-all sport, with varying styles, techniques and approaches, Davis said. "I see women being really more meticulous and detail-oriented, generally speaking," she said. "[They’re] very concerned about doing things correctly as opposed to ‘let’s just get off this thing.’"The minimum training prerequisite for BASE jumping is 100 skydiving jumps. After that, Davis offers a women’s first-jump course at the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho, and a follow-up two-day class in Moab for first cliff jumping after her students are more seasoned.
    She also offers BASE guiding and tower BASE jumps for experienced jumpers, as well as rock and tower climbing. While Perrine is a popular destination and a "free-for-all" for jumpers, Davis’ calling card is individualized instruction in Moab.
    Last edited by airdog07; March 6th, 2014 at 04:00 PM.