Thread: 'Base jumping' red squirrel captured in remarkable photographs in Cairngorms

1. Header
  2. Header-68

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

'Base jumping' red squirrel captured in remarkable photographs in Cairngorms

'Base jumping' red squirrel captured in remarkable photographs in Cairngorms

15 Apr 2016

FREEFALLING through the air, this Scots squirrel looks as if he's base jumping.
    Wildlife snapper Andy Howard got the shot as the squirrel leapt for some nuts he had tempted it with.
    Andy, 45, spends his time photographing the wildlife near his home in the Cairngorms in Scotland.
    He says the native red rodents can leap up to 20 feet through the pines.

He said: "The image was taken by positioning a log about a metre or so from a wooden platform to which the squirrels leap across.
    "They are more than capable of jumping far greater distances than this. I've seen them leap more than six metres in our local forest.
    "They run to the end of the log, pause for a second or two to compose themselves then launch themselves like Superman onto the table.

"Their reward? Organic hazelnuts, which are costing me a fortune but it's well worth it.
    "Ironically this was my first attempt at photographing them performing these spectacular leaps and this image was taken on only the second jump of the morning.
    "To say I'm delighted with the results is an understatement.

"They are such wonderful animals to watch they are always busy and are extremely characterful.
    "They really raise your spirits.
    "We have a healthy population at our squirrel feeding site and have at least six individuals visiting it on a daily basis."
    Andy also offers a wildlife guiding service and runs wildlife photography workshops for those who want to hone their photography skills or just want a close encounter with some of the stunning wildlife found in the Cairngorms.

look at the symmetrical hand and feet and the rudder like tail.
    Last edited by airdog07; May 11th, 2016 at 01:49 AM.