1. Header
  2. Header-80

Welcome: If this is your first visit, start by reading the following…
Contribute
Feel free to leave comments at the bottom of a page, or become an Editors and change the actual contents.

ENTER the NEW BASE Wiki

Recent changes
If this is a return visit, click here to see what Editors have recently changed.

About the New BASE Wiki.

Romsdalen

This page is a chapter in 'BASE Wiki Sites and Events'

In Romsdalen we have well known landmarks as Trollstigen, Trollwall, Romsdalshorn, Romsdalsfjord and Norways most beautiful railway "Rauma Railway". The nature are wild and beautiful, and made for active people.

View from Trollveggen up Romsdalen with Karlskråtind top left in picture.
The Troll Wall is part of the mountain massif Trolltindene (Troll Peaks) in the Romsdal valley, near Åndalsnes and Molde, on the Norwegian west coast. Troll Wall is the tallest vertical rock face in Europe, 1100 meters from the base to the summit at its tallest. At its steepest, the summit overhangs the base by nearly fifty meters.

The rock is gneiss, and its large formations are shaping a broken face of huge corners, concave roofs, and crack systems, topped with a unique series of spires and pinnacles parading the summit rim. The rock is generally loose, and rock fall is the norm in this immense north facing big wall. A series of huge rock falls swiped the wall in autumn 1998, radically changing the character of several climbing routes.

The Troll Wall has been a prestigious goal for climbers and BASE jumpers alike. In 1984 Carl Boenish, the "father" of BASE jumping, was killed on the Troll Wall shortly after setting the world record for the highest BASE jump in history. BASE jumping from Troll Wall has been illegal since 1986.

BASE tourism is a growing part of the destinations, not only for active jumpers, but also for tourist who come to se the "flying humans". Mountain flying is spectacular to see, and easy to see, since the infrastructure make it possible to get close to the jumpers arena.

Read more about Troll Wall
Troll Wall Wikipedia

BASE jumping in Romsdalen

Tourist Map

1. Romsdalen suits experienced big wall jumpers best. Good tracking skills are absolutely a must!

2. We do not have an active club to take care of new comers like Kjerag.

3. Contacts are those who are present in the valley at the time.

4. If you come to Romsdalen you have to know one week on the ground is not unusual. 2 weeks or more is recommended if you come here for jumping.

Romsdalen fly/no-fly zone
5. Base jumping is legal in Norway, but Troll wall is illegal. This is because of potentially complicated rescues and danger for the rescue team. Please respect Troll Wall, and if you decide to jump make sure you know where to jump, and have the skills to make a safe jump there. We do not recommend jumping in the no fly zone at all! (see attached picture). Police decide if this area is safe or not for a rescue operation, and this can easily be changed to other sites if there is too many difficult and dangerous rescues at other sites as well. The fine for a jump in troll wall is 20 000 nok + all jump related equipment, including camera! Click on the image to see the criticle area in Trollwall.

6. The locals are great to us, and they are pleased to have jumpers coming visiting the valleys, but treat them with respect, and be respectful of your driving around private property. Do not park cars on grass fields, or camp! Landing is in most cases okay. The locals love to watch jumping, and it is common to inform them before jumping.

Original Troll Wall Poster
7. Make sure you know where you are jumping in case of emergency, and not only the jumpers nick name of the place.

8. Be fit for long hikes, and have proper clothing for mountain hiking. Prepare for spending the night outdoor.

9. Always jump with a radio (Motorola USA coding) and get yourself a Norwegian sim card for your phone. It makes it easier to keep in contact with the locals or the emergency team if necessary. Fully charged batteries are always important, since a rescue can take time. Most of the walls have loose rocks, and a rescue operation can take time to plan. If you get stuck, try to collect your gear, sit still, and wait for contact with the locals, or rescue team. Always leave your personal information and phone number with someone.

10. The media have an eye on us after several close calls and rescues, so behave yourself and minimize (or eliminate) your reckless jumping, and behavior. What one jumpers does, will affect the whole group!

11. Help us keep the hikes and exit points clean. What you bring up, you bring down.

12. Most of the walls are heavily affected by south eastern wind. When jumping you should always have people on the ground, and do not push the limits with this wind direction. At times there can be some wind on the exit point, and on the ground, but on the talus it is strong turbulence. On exit there was no wind, I was just accelerating & building speed, got a good track going with a lot of energy, but then I surprised by the turbulence & cross winds. The wind almost flipped me around twice and caused me to lose a lot of height. After opening, the canopy collapsed and re-inflated several times. See video. The first is Paul Fortun and Kristian Rønning in 2005. The latest video is Hege Ringard from summer 2009.

South east wind tracking video and canopy flying Karlskråtind:
[youtube]ECY-c-BWqIk[/youtube]

Caution

You do not get groundrush in big walls with steep talus!

You always assume you are higher than you are!

Turbulence does affect your opening, and hitting the brakes before completely pressurized is not a good idea!

Emergency numbers Norway

• Police and rescue emergency number 112

Important wingsuit flying information!

With wingsuits the mountain flyers have many choices to fly lines of long distance, without any control for witness to see where they will end up, if they are missing. In a big mountain terrain it can be difficult to locate where the jumper are, and life saving time can be lost during a rescue operation just to locate the jumper or just to confirm they are okay. My advice will be to to choose colors which is easy to see. Communication with the ground crew, and fellow jumpers is very important, when you jump, and a known flightplan.

Another issue I want to discuss!

Are the jumpers responsible for the rescue team? To make sure if they have an accident, to not end up in a place where they will create a dangerous situation for the rescue team?

When a climber have an accident, it is usually a well known climbing route, but mountain flyers can end up any place where they have no knowledge about the location. Rescue team in Norway have told me to inform jumpers, if they are stuck they have to know the operation will take time. Normal procedure is to search, locate, evaluate area and risk. Then prepare for a rescue with the equipment they carry on-board. When they have located you, they log the place, for then return back to a safe place to coordinate with the crew. When they leave you hanging on the spot, it does not mean they have given you up, it just means they are planning the rescue, and it will take time. If heli rescue is not possible it will be the mountain rescue team by climbers. This will delay the operation even more, if not in hours but even days. This is due to very loose rocks in Romsdalen area, that even small rocks can take out the heli, and climbers. Be prepared physically and mentally you are going to be there for a awhile while they getting ready. Also remember in Norwegian mountains the weather changes quickly, and this is very important to remember and to be made in to you conclusion about which route you are going to fly. IF Bad weather coming in, you should ease your flight, and make sure you will be home safe! Even considering not to jump! South east wind is usually no go in Romsdalen!

I know many of you will say this is BASE jumping, and it is in the nature of what we are doing, but we also have others than our selves to think about!

Jokke Sommers guide to proximity flying!

Received a few questions and since high season for wingsuit flying is coming up, I figured it would be good to write down some basic guidelines that might make your flights a bit better and safer. More and more jumpers are getting into proximity flying these days and instead of being like most others, telling you what you shouldn’t do and all that, I rather tell you what I do and what works for me

The last year there has been quite a few fatalities because of proximity flying. Fatalities that could easily been avoided by just following some simple rules.

“Keep in mind that this just my point of view and guidelines that works good for me. I`m not saying I am the one you should listen to, or that this is the correct way of doing it.”

First of all, you should NOT fly proximity if you don’t have good flying skills and manage to fly your suit 100%!

The exit: When flying proximity, it is important to have a good start. A nice steep exit is the best way if you want to get as much speed as you can from the start. A lot of jumpers have their arms fully spread out and look up at the horizon, kind of like a student exit. While doing that, you increase the chance of starting to fly flat and simply ending up slow. If you sometimes notice the wobble after exit, that is most likely the reason.

First step to a good flight lies in the exit, so if you usually start flat, try some steep exits and you might be surprised how it will affect the rest of your flight

“When I exit I find a spot 45 degrees down, keep my arms down and relaxed. I continue to look at the spot not to over rotate, spread my leg wing while I have my arm wings half way out. Then after 2 sec I go into my normal, steep flying position. With this exit I normally fly 100% with good speed within 3 sec.” (Keep in mind that I weigh 58 kg, which does help for a quick start)

Use your time and know the area: A simple rule is to jump a cliff multiple times before you go close. Its kind of common sense, but not everyone is doing that. A good tip is to spend a few hours on Google Earth the night before you go to a new cliff. Measure heights, distances and create a line you want to fly, suitable for your experience level. Doing easy homework like that makes you a bit more ready for the jump. It also gives you a better feeling on the exit, in case you wonder if you can make it to the landing area etc.

Fly the line you planned, but with a good safe margin. On the first jump is very important to see what`s coming up far ahead of your flight. If the line is not straight forward, keep good distance from the terrain so you avoid any surprises when you come around the corner. It might look clean on Google Earth, but a tree or a ledge is usually not so easy to see on the computer screen

On the second flight, you can start to put in your reference points.

Reference points: Or checkpoints like I like to call them, is something I use a lot when I fly. They are important and give`s you feedback of where you are at all times. They tell you everything you need to know, your height, your speed, when to start/stop your turn and if you are still in a safe zone. The more times you jump a cliff, the more checkpoints you put up. They can also be good when you have one of those shitty flights and you don`t make it to a checkpoint. Then you know that you have to go straight to plan B.

Anyway, an example. I probably did the High Nose flight to the left 30 times, on the first jumps I had no checkpoints and had to focus on my height, the wall and multiple things at the same time. So of course I couldn't go close. Now, with all my checkpoints I can feel comfortable 2m next to the wall.

"2 sec after exit, dive to the black spot to gain speed, flare a bit out, fly tight on the wall, buzz the ledge that sticks a bit more out, do a slight turn back into the wall, buzz the next corner, fly into the waterfall and disconnect from the wall.”

So, with all those checkpoints, I don`t need to focus on my height and can concentrate only on the line.

I`m a bit more conservative when it comes to checkpoints I put up while flying over stuff. Flying over and between stuff is my favorite, but they are a lot more dangerous than flying proximity on a straight wall.

The Jungfrau heli jump, for example, has 4 main checkpoints. First one, on the top corner of the cliff edge to the right, second one, between the trees on the first saddle, third one on some random tree I need to dive for to build up more energy, then use that energy to put my 4th checkpoint on the small bush on the last wall before disconnecting. It might not look conservative on the video, but conservative for me is to fly with a lot of energy and reserve in my suit.

“I exited the helicopter very high and a bit far back of my first checkpoint. I had about 30 sec of setting up and building up massive amount of speed and reserve. I flattened a bit out when I came down to the first checkpoint and used my speed to generate a nice glide ratio and a comfortable speed for the proximity on the wall. When I came around the corner I still had a nice glide and had to make a decision where I was going to put my second checkpoint. With the glide and the speed I had, I could have made it over the higher area up to the right, but I don`t like to fly flat, slow and with less reserve. So I decided to put the point of attack further down, between the trees. By doing that, I went back into a steeper flight where I now build up more of the energy I already used. So, in case I find myself in a dangerous situation, I now have more reserve to go over to a plan B. (If I would have gone for the higher spot and miscalculated, I would have no reserve, and in worst case, impacted the cliff). After passing through the trees, same story again. Fly steep, build up energy and turn it into a nice glide for the proximity on the next wall "

So, the more checkpoints you put up in your line, the more fun it will be And the best part about it, is that those flights feels a lot more comfortable and is a lot safer than most other ones!

Just remember that speed is the main key. The faster the better, but find a nice balance and your own comfort zone.

Plan A and Plan B: The difference between your main plan and your escape plan can in some cases be the difference between life and death. ALWAYS have an escape plan! If flying close to a wall, be ready for a quick disconnect. A wall is usually not shaved, so if you are playing as close as a few meters, a ledge can surprise you! Then it`s important to use your checkpoints and actually respecting them by going over to plan B if you have the slightest doubt.

Plan B when it comes to flying over stuff is a bit different. In some cases you might not have the opportunity to do a turn into safety. So, therefore I don`t recommend to fly over stuff in a flat glide with slow speed. The only way you can pull yourself out of a dangerous situation while being over stuff is to use the speed reserve you got left in your suit. Use it to change your glide ratio and make it over the critical part.

Anyway, if you are not 100% comfortable flying your suit steep and fast, you should NOT fly over stuff.

“Jumped a place where there is a bit of strong winds in the middle of the day, kind of like Brento. Because of the winds, I was flying with a plan B in my mind when I came to the area where the winds had more affect on the flying. I was in a steep flight with a good angle of attack on a nice, green bush. Plan A was to fly over it by 1-2m. In case I had to go over to plan B, I decided to set my target on the very left corner, so the difference between my plan A and B where about a meter. About 4-5 sec before I would have passed, I felt a small gust slowing me down a bit. Went instantly over to plan B, but of curiosity of my calculations I kept the same flight angle, only changed my point of attack to the side instead of the top corner. When I passed the bush I was slightly below it, so if I would have continued with my plan A, I would have impacted. No doubt about it.."

Enough said, ALWAYS jump with a plan B, ready to rock! It makes your flights a lot safer and it might save your life

Setup: To start a line with a nice setup is important. On most cliffs you might not have the altitude for long setups, but if you some day do helicopter flights, it can be a good idea to start a bit higher up and more back to gain extra setup time. When I start a proximity line with a long setup, I use that time to build up all the energy and speed I need, but also feel my suit, tune my body position, feel the wind, lift and other weather conditions. In some cases I have up to 30 seconds of setup time, with all that time I can start my proximity line with 100% confidence and be ready for it.

While flying proximity in the alps, it`s a bit more important to have some start setup. Because of the altitude, the air is a lot thinner and it might not be as much lift you are usually used to have. It can be good the first day, and totally dead air the next day.

If you do choose to do a long setup, fly relaxed! It`s not a good idea to be tired in your arms when you start a 1 min long proximity line. If you get tired, abort your flight. Tired = Shitty flight.

“An example, on the Tabasco line, the setup was the most important factor of the flight. Did five jumps where I tried different setups. The easiest way would be to exit high and far back, then aim and fly trough the crack, but I wanted it to be a line with proximity before and after flying trough.

After two flights I got a bit skeptic and had to change the setup. I skipped some of the first proximity, mostly because I had to do a hard turn towards the crack after flying over the ridge. Also, the angle of attack was way too steep.

Two more flights, but still no crack attack. Since it’s hidden around the corner, the setup is a bit hard to figure out, but two more flights meant two more checkpoints. So, on the final flight a few weeks later I didn’t care so much about the proximity, only had focus on the setup for the checkpoints.

With a 40 second long setup, I had time to find my sweet spot and get comfortable with the flight conditions, which was very good that day. Since I couldn't see the crack, I was flying towards my checkpoints. If my calculations where right, the crack should be straight up front and slightly below with a nice angle of attack.

After passing the checkpoints, the crack was at the spot I had imagined. Then I had 3 sec to make up my mind if I was going for plan A or B. Conditions where good, I had a comfortable glide and perfect speed. It looked pretty tight, but I had already done my homework when it came to whether I would fit trough or not. Still had a good feeling, so decided to fly trough the widest part at the top of the crack.. And yeah, it was scary!

So, using time on your setup can be a good thing at places you don’t have any room for error.

Reserve: Same stuff I mentioned before, but can never be mentioned enough! ALWAYS fly with reserve, the more the better! And do as much training as you can in beforehand so you know when to use it, and how to get the most out of it when you need it!

Current: Staying current is as important that actually wearing a wingsuit while wingsuit flying. If you are not current, then stay away from the terrain! Just because you had a sick flight last summer doesn’t mean you will have the same flight experience almost a year later. And what about your checkpoints, do you remember where you left them on the last jump? Just give it 5-10 jumps and your back in business!

What wingsuit: Well, that`s a topic that`s never gonna die out, but since we are now talking about proximity flying, there is only one choice for me. The suits from Phoenix fly. Made by professional proximity flyers, with performance in mind. The Phantom 2 and the Vampire are suits that have amazing stability, tons of speed and a quick response when it comes to handling. All the important aspects you need while you fly proximity.

Which one of those you should choose is mostly up to you.

If I had less than 50 flights, I would go for the Phantom 2. Spend a season with it, then consider going over to a V3. Have seen some jumpers that where flying their Phantom 2 a lot faster and better than they are now with their V3`s. But of course, everyone is different and what works for you might not work at all for me. The best would be to try them both while skydiving, at least 10 times each. So if you got that chance, go for it!

If you already bought a V3 and you can`t find the sweet spot yet, just give it some time and more jumps and you will be happy. I didn’t like mine the first 5-6 flights, but now I wouldn’t change it for a million dollar contract and some other suit. Rather steal my car than my Vampire

“This is only my point of view. A Tony Suit might be a better choice if you are more interested in getting as long distance as possible on your jumps, but when it all comes to the flight, the pilot is the most important thing anyway!”

Legpouch or BOC?: Pros and Cons for both of them. I might not be the one talking about legpouch because I have never used it, but after five incidents almost ending up in a fatality in less than 2 years, it should be used wisely.

• Read the user manual properly! http://phoenix-fly.com/articles.htm

• If you do have the chance to skydive it, do it until you have the muscle memory in you!

• If you have to Base it for the first time, be smart and pull high. It`s common sense, I know. But not everyone is doing it..

• Don`t stuff the PC all the way in, leaving only the handle sticking out! But also, make sure it stays tight enough so you don’t risk getting pre-mature deployment. That can be fatal while flying close to terrain.

• Buy a proper PC. The vented 36" PC with hat and handle from Morpheus is in my opinion, the best choice! http://www.baserigs.com/

• The hat and handle together makes it big and rock solid to grab, while the hat minimizes the risk of the PC going further into the legpouch. And simply minimizes the risk of the classic "No pull find"

• If you decide to go BOC with the V3, the hat and handle PC is a MUST!!

• Also, try the BOC multiple times from the plane before you use it in Base!

Things you simply don’t do:
• Never catch your own shadow! And don’t be too focused on it either. They are fun to hunt, but while flying close to the wall, they can be very distracting.

• NEVER bend your knees/legs to kill altitude or to get down to the point you want to fly close!!! If you do so, you should quit jumping for a while and sign up for a course in Aerodynamics. ASAP!

• When you fly a line, keep your focus on the point you need to clear. Don’t focus on the stuff half way and then start looking at the ledge/ cliff you need to clear. Remember that you can’t fly up! At least not yet

• Don’t fly at spots where you risk to box yourself in!

• Don’t fly over ledges or terrain covered in snow when overcast and in flat light. It`s almost impossible to judge your height over snow in flat light conditions!

• Don’t be ignorant and believe that you are invincible.

• Simply, don’t rush it!

Some basic stuff and tips:
• Make a list for yourself where you write down your own rules. Wind limits, distance from the terrain, when to go over to plan B, pull height etc. If you follow your own rules and respect them, you will be a safer jumper and might not ever end up in a dangerous situation.

• If you have a shitty exit and start your flight a bit too flat, ending up in wobbling. Or if you feel that you don’t have the normal speed, simply go straight to plan B. Follow that rule as muscle memory. One day it might be the best choice you made : )

• Do it all step by step. The smaller the better. Don’t push it too hard on spots where you don’t know the terrain 100%

• Pull high! If proximity flying is what you like the most, there is pointless to smoke it down after your line is finished. Do your line, disconnect and pull. But clear the wall enough so you got time for a 180.

• Turning with a wingsuit is not like turning your car. It`s a bit like sliding on the ice. So if you fly at a spot where you need to turn away from an object sooner or later, make sure you start the turn with enough space for the “slide”

• If an experienced flyer says that you fly a bit flat/slow and the jump might not suit your experience level, don’t ignore it!

• Know your limits!

• If skydiving, don’t do too much wingsuit flocking. At least, don’t get too used to it. Flocking might be fun, but it is not wingsuit “flying”. Spend more time hunting clouds and racing with other experienced flyers instead

• Attack your line with speed!

• Ask other experienced jumpers. No question is too stupid to ask.

• Be conservative. Proximity is fun but not worth dying for.

Read more about body position, wingsuit aerodynamics and wingsuit flying in general, written by the experts, here: http://phoenix-fly.com/articles.htm

Besides that, have a good season and have fun!
Jokke Sommer

Fatalities in Romsdalen (13)

• 1. CARL BOENISH – Stabben – Stabbe Wall – June 07, 1984 (AMERICAN)
  • 2. JORGEN HAKONSON – Bruraskaret – Troll Wall – August 18, 1985 (SWEDISH)
  • 3. JARI MYNTTINNEN Bruraskaret – Troll Wall – August 24, 1985 (FINLAND)
  • 4. JOHN FOSTER – Trollspiret – Troll Wall – June 20, 1986 (AUSTRALIAN)
  • 5. DANIEL TWOMEY – Trollspiret – Troll Wall – August 04, 1999 (AUSTRALIAN)
  • 6. TORE LILLEBOSTAD – Hårstadnebba – Sunndalsøra – August 25, 2002 (NORWEGIAN)
  • 7. KIRILL KISELEV – Vikesaksa – Eikesdalen – First wingsuit fatality – September 01, 2002 (RUSSIAN)
  • 8. LINUS RAINS – Labben – Stabbe Wall – July 23, 2003 (SWEDISH)
  • 9. TONY COOMBES – Labben – Stabbe Wall May 27, 2006 (AUSTRALIAN)
  • 10. STEPHEN RICHARD ANDERTON – Langrabpiggen – Sunndalsøra August 14, 2007 (AUSTRALIAN)
  • 11. TOMMY HJERTO – Stabben – Stabbe Wall – September 09, 2008 (NORWEGIAN)
  • 12. Gorm Irgens Østlie – Karlskråtind – April 07, 2009 (NORWEGIAN)
  • 13. Mike Warren - Bispen - August 10, 2009 (South African)
  • 14. Yngve Føsker Fjeldstad - Oct 08, 2010 Norwegian

See Statistic page
See BASE Fatality List

BLiNC Magazine strongly encourages readers to comment on its content. Read the Disclaimer and the policy on Site Naming. Posting a comment releases it in the Public Domain. These comments will be moderated. If you see inappropriate content, please notify the administrator
All rights reserved. No republication of this material, in any form or medium, is permitted without express permission of the author. All images and words are protected by U.S. and International Copyright laws. Copyright 1994-2011

This page has been seen 29,892 times.

Current Discussion: Main discussion

[B][U]What is the chance to get caught in Troll Wall?[/U][/B]

If you do not know anything about the Troll, it is a higher chance you will get caught. If you have contacted the locals, or the experienced Romsdalen jumpers, it is very little chance. Even you do contact the experienced Romsdalen crew, there is a chance you will not get any help, or information from them, since sharing that information [B]should[/B] only be gained if you have the experience, skills and right attitude. The risk for getting caught is by coincidence, or also if you hike in the daylight at a crowded day, it is a chance somebody call you in. Still jumping inside the Troll massive is a very high risk to not getting any help if you fail your jump! Even the risk of being taken out by a falling rock, or a huge avelance is a small risk, but still present. It is not a situation you want to put your family, friends or the rescue personnel inn to! You will not put the rescue people in that position they have to make a decision about leaving you on site, since there is not possible to bring you out.

Again, I do not recommend any jumping at any illegal site. This is just guidelines from me, if you have to do! If you really want to jump at Troll wall jump from the Stabbe wall, it is still illegal, but not that risky for the rescue personnel.

When coming to Romsdalen do not have only one thing on your mind, to get a jump from the Troll Wall. I did as well first time I got up here, but did find a fantastic place with so many beautiful different hikes, all kind of different exit points, with different approaches, and need for skills. Troll Wall is impressive, but not only the ONE. Troll Wall have a history, also some myths played around. I personally found Troll Wall as my little candy, and not a wall I would like to jump often. It is "the playground" for the experienced jumpers. If you do not have big wall experience, or are not a skilled tracker or wingsuit jumper (not only experienced, but a solid flyer as well) you will have more fun to learn in Kjerag, and then come up here another time. Kjerag is a playground to learn, up here you hike to long, to hard to make the same progression.

Still edit this one for grammar, and spelling. This is my personal guidelines, and you will find many different opinions about the issue!
    Google translation[QUOTE]"Less than three months after a 30-year-old businessman was killed after a jump from Karlskråtind, the police and rescue creates Yesterday the phone about NOK another unsuccessful jumps in the same area.

It was the base hopperen even that called the police to warn about what had happened. The accident occurred just after at 14.00, and the man put in the ROCKY MOUNTAIN of about 1000 meters altitude.

It was sent both a Sea King rescue helicopter and luftambulanse to place and operasjonsleder by Nordmøre og Romsdal Police, Harald Rønning says to NTB that the man had bruises in the accident and was proposed when he was taken with luftambulanse Molde and flown to a hospital.
    - Catching more.
    Politimester in Nordmøre and Romsdal, Arnstein Nilssen, told Romsdals Budstikke the rescue action was considered as difficult.

- This is due fjellets nature, "says Nilsen, who is clear in his speech in the wake of the rescue action.

- The summer has just barely begun, and the jump a lot now. Unfortunately, I fear that there will be many accidents in the summer, "said the chief, adding that more and more people are dragged into the environment, and that not everyone who jumps have so much experience. This is according to him a greater chance that it will go wrong.
    - Farmer himself.
    - Base Hoppere is irresponsible. They grow themselves and do not care about those who put lives at stake to save them, says the superintendent who fear that one day's in a situation where there will be attempts at rescue.

He stressed that in many cases would not be appropriate to make the attempt to rescue people who have jumped.

Accidents in the Troll wall is a case, but deny the rescue, according to Nilsen also could be the case after jumping from Karlskråtind.

- The days of a rescue crew told me that the task is too dangerous, it will not be set in motion an action. If it is set in motion redningsaksjon, determined in each individual case. This is some base jumpers agree with, says Nilssen.
    - Is a Limit.
    After the accident in April, taken comrades of the forulykkede him from the scene of an accident after the rescue action was postponed because of the large rasfare.

- It happened where I liked poor. It could have ended quickly with a new redningsaksjon. It was not done anything illegal, but it shows that there is a Mind games that are missing, "says Nilssen.

- The problem is not that they expose themselves to danger, but that they expose rescue crews at risk. That is what is my ankepunkt, says the superintendent.

- We will stretch ourselves far for the free livsutfoldelse, but there is a limit, he quit."[/QUOTE]

Norwegian article [url=http://www.rbnett.no/article/20090701/NYHETER08/793005138/1085]- Uansvarlige basehoppere[/url]
    [B][U]Ethics[/U][/B]

We can not try to make it as a high bust rate at Troll Wall, since there is not the fact! Before the police hunted the jumpers, not anymore. But they will do catch you if they have the chance, dont think you wil get away with it. Ask a famous ozzy jumper.. I want instead focus about the ethics around a base jump in troll wall. Before we made the rumors about long hikes, and bust factor around the troll, dangerous etc. Yess it is a hard hike for those who is only used to climb a 300 foot antenna, or riding elevator, it is dangorous to hike if you have no experience with snow, ice, loose rocks, cold, wet, weather changes, wind etc. Even some part scare the shit out of you, since you are very exposed at the climbing (free climb) but some other places it is a perfectly easy jump at some exit points. Still we do experience jumpers hiking 7 hours even 8 hour to get to some exit points, and that is not good for your jumping if you are tired, scared, wet, cold and hungry! I will say some few of the accidents could be related to just not being in shape! Some other accidents is drugs combine with alcohol abuse/party related. We can not stick our head in the sand and hide the truth anymore, it is to many jumpers around that we can afford the same statistics one fatality pr jump we had before. It is stupid to do the same mistakes over and over. Also make the new generation that most have been done, and they do not invent the wheel again. It is a good example when I showed Carl´s video´s at my home to a new upcoming "BASE Star" what they actually did in the very old days. "Did they do things like that at that time?" was his response.

There is the ETHICS I want some jumpers to understand what it takes to make a jump there. Other jumpers do what they want to do, and do not care about guidelines, and do what ever it takes to make their goals without thinking about their responsibility for other jumpers. I do not say it is bad. What I say, you have the information to make sure your choices is based on the information, and then get the experienced needed to take that action. It is up to you!
    [B][U]Experience and skills Troll Wall[/U][/B]

This is a big wall, and if you want to jump a big wall you have to be a stabile tracker and wingsuit jumper! Some places in troll wall you impact after 6 seconds if you fall straight down, at other places you can fall straight down (close to the wall) 16 seconds. You will find underhung exits, and overhung exits at the same wall, at the same exit point just moving 1 meter to the side, or just switching the exit direction slightly. Troll wall is an experienced playground, not only because of the exit points it´s selves, but also for the rescue personnel, who have to try to pick up jumpers when they have accidents. The "no fly zone" is not only for jumpers, it is also for climbers.

I have to remind you all, this is not a experimental playground where you can expect to learn how to fly your body. This is the playground you are already an solid big wall jumper! It seems LB have the same problem to make the jumpers arriving to understand the difficulty of the different exits. It have been said over and over, but some jumpers do not want to understand, neither understand their own limits. At periods in our lifes, maybe we do not care so much about what´s happening, or what´s in the other end. The longer you survive the game, the more you enjoy being healthy and alive! Think about that for a moment! Time is not now, time is coming, and time goes, some of your friends you will keep, and some you will loose. Simple!
    Google translation of my answer published in the newspaper on friday. Not on the web page.

- Legal to jump from Kalskråtinden
    BASE-jumper Paul Fortun react against the chief

- The chief's reaction after the rescue action on Kalskråtind this week, are exaggerated and wrong, says Paul Fortun.

Rauma: This is one of the åpolitimester Arnstein Nilssen in Nordmøre and Romsdal Police said to the Romsdals Budstikke Wednesday 1. July:
    - Base hoppere is irresponsible, farmer himself and cares not about the rescue together companies that put lives at stake to save them, "said politimester. The comment came after a base jump had to be saved down by a helicopter after an emergency landing in mountainous terrain under the wall on Kalskråtind Tuesday 30. June.
    The experienced base hopperen Paul Fortun, who is also the initiator and organizer of the World Base Race on Gridsetskolten in Innfjorden, react to police mesterens negative characteristics.
    - Selfishness and self-cultivation are found in many arenas, not only among base hoppere. Base Jumping and mountain aviation is the extreme activities that most people can not identify themselves with, and that is why it is understandable that people react when they read about the dangerous rescue operations. How has it been with other activities that we currently consider as "healthy Norwegian activities", and that we are proud of. BASE environment must do something about attitudes to risk, and so do we. Base Hoppere who will visit the station, we are told that they can not automatically expect to be rescued if they get out of an accident, "says Paul Fortun.
    He reacts against the police master word for a rescue action after a jump in an area that is regarded as one of Norway's safest, and which lies well outside the illegal zone in and the Troll Wall.
    - It will not help if the media use the superintendent as talking over the heads of the jumpers, and not directly to the jumpers. He has not been with him all that is done with the attitudes and environment in which we inform about attitudes, and basic guidelines. When one looks at the long-standing attitude campaigns, which are conducted in the last 50 years aimed at Easter mountains (easter tourists) and the use of seat-belt (in cars), one can understand that there is still a long way back for a young mountain flying environment. When it is about the Police chief statements, it is important to understand that demanding rescue operations do not always have to be life threatening. Now the chief uses the term "rescue crews put lives at risk" time after time when the base jumpers is saved after accident or accidents, it creates the impression that it is always perilous to retrieve base jumpers, "says Paul Fortun.
    - Exactly what the superintendent says that more and more people are dragged into enviroment and that many of them have little experience?
    - We go not into the environment, but the new practitioners from other outdoor activities have begun with the base hopping the last few years. We must deal with. However, I encourage the superintendent and others to see also on the positive aspects of our activity. Møre og Romsdal is known for its diversity of activities on the mountain and the sea. It would be a shame not to exploit this diversity, when there are many serious practitioners who want to come here to use the wonderful nature we have. These are gifted people, who will have much to mean to the Romsdal as a tourist destination in the years ahead. The activity of local and visiting BASE practitioners has resulted in increased media coverage and good marketing of regionen.Eksempel is Imaxfilmen from Eikesdal, the number of films and film snippets created by amateurs and professionals, World BASE Race from Gridsetskolten and recently was the world famous "60 Minutes" in Romsdal to film base jumping. We talk about marketing that would have cost much inconceivable if we were paid for it, "says Paul Fortun.
    - Is the base jumpers little 'crazy'?
    - Yes we are a little crazy, and we live a little on the edge of the ordinary people think is reasonable and normal. I challenge the critics to be a little roomy. Base jumpers is no threat to society, and we wish of course not that rescue crews will put their lives in danger to save people who have failed under the exercise of extreme activities.
    It upsets the main readers about the risk we do putting the rescue people in to. Another main issue is about the cost of a rescue like this. Very often we bound up two helies for an rescue like this. The ambulance heli, which can not lift our people, and the army rescue heli.

All this together makes it a very hot issue! Try to understand it is not a job to make the base jumpers understand the importance about safety, but also a job to deal with the media, and try to inform the public what we do.

The job it selves is hard enough if not more high profiled jumpers do not come and contribute.

What do you guys want for the future? Where do you see this is going? Is it all about you, and how you think it will be with more jumpers arriving the scene? The problem is not the locals who conserve their illegal sites, it is when they travel to legal sites the problem starts. Nothing is more regulated than a illegal site with rules and restrictions!
    [url=http://smp.no/article/20090706/NYHETER/128110131/1002]Trosser hopp-forbudet[/url]

The prohibition may be repealed as well. It is still to no avail, "says Nilssen - and think of the eight who now have lost their lives after Parachutist in the Troll Wall - Norway's highest vertical mountain wall at nearly 1,000 meters.

7. July 1984 jumped American Carl Boenish from Stabben on top of the Troll Wall. It will be his last. 43-year-old hit the mountain wall and killed.
    Enka jumped
    This scares apparently no one, not Widow Jean Boenish that a few days later jumps from the same place to honor her deceased husband.

Her jump was good. It did not for years after a 19-year-old Swedish and a 32-year-old find. Both lost their lives after the jump downward in the Troll wall with the parachute on his back.
    Prohibition
    And when a businessman from Australia the following year also killed the same place, the authorities had received NOK and Justice download prohibition of fall comes hopping in Troll wall.

Then politimester Ivar A. Oftedahl set himself up prohibition sign at the top of the steep mountain wall.

But the jumps continued, and accidents were more.

A 22-year-old from Australia, died in 1999, a 29-year-old man from Sweden suffered the same fate after a jump in 2003.

In 2006, killed a 30-year-old man from Australia, while a 34-year-old boy from Norway died after a jump in the Troll Wall in 2008.

Politimester Arnstein Nilssen wait for the next Emergency Room from the valley:

- The prohibition against parachuting has no effect. We do not have the capacity to monitor the mountain. And it made at least one thousand illegal jumps a year in the Troll Wall. Base Jumping become increasingly prevalent, and thus will be more inexperienced hoppere. So I more fatal accidents in the time ahead, "said the superintendent.
    Fines
    - Some have you managed to get in?

- Yes, we have been fined a few, and involved the parachute. But it means nothing, and that scares no one. So the ban has no purpose, says Nilssen.

- Can the ban have the opposite effect: to extract even more hoppere to Troll wall?

- No, I do not know. Those who jump here say they do it because it is something special time to jump in the Troll Wall.
    Egoister
    The superintendent in Nordmøre and Romsdal has long been clear on what he thinks about businessman environment:

- They are egoists who do not think about those who are sent up to rescue them. It's going to encounter situations where I must decide that we can not go in with a helicopter to get people, whether they are alive or dead, because it is too dangerous for rescue crews. There I see the dark, "says Nilssen.

- Have you even met the base hoppere?

- Yes, I have. One of them said to me that it was not dangerous to jump. A month later he was dead, "says Arnstein
    very nicely put!